DIY Baby Food

|

A few people have asked me about making baby food for Bronwynn. "Isn't it a pain?" No...So far, it's been super easy to do, and I really enjoy it, more so than cooking for the grownups!

"Isn't jarred food okay?" Totally. I still use organic jarred food when out and about for its convenience. I just like giving B homemade food whenever possible for its freshness and so I can customize her meals.

"Does it take long to make?" Nope. I thought I'd walk you through how I make a batch of apple puree. The process is basically the same no matter what fruit or veggie you want to turn into baby food.



Start with your favorite organic, baby-friendly fruit or veggie. Apples were on sale this week at Safeway :) Cut and core the apples.



Put them in a steamer with just a couple inches of boiling water beneath. Let them steam for about 12-15 minutes, or until soft. While you're waiting, you can...



...load the dishwasher



...have a cup of coffee



...or change your squirmy baby's diaper!



Here's what the apples look like after they've been steamed. They smell so yummy. (you'll have to take my word for it!)



Scrape the apple off the peel and into the food processor. Add a little water if the apples are too thick.


All done! I freeze it into cubes and just pull out a couple cubes to thaw before meals. It keeps for about 3 months in the freezer and retains nutrients better than jarred foods. Plus, it saves money, and I know that B is eating something I prepared just for her!

1 comments:

Andy said...

Man, I'm getting hungry.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails