Monday, May 3, 2010

The good, the bad, and the bunny...


Bronwynn still hasn't grasped the concept that all good things must come to an end. So, for instance, when you've been enjoying a wildly successful playdate with your best friend Austin, and nap time rolls around, and Mommy says it's time to say goodbye and go home?? Totally unacceptable.

I had to carry her to the car, over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes kicking and screaming, and forcibly buckle her in her carseat, all the while trying to validate her feelings...because that's what good parents do, right? They lovingly pin their children down and say through gritted teeth, "Honey, I know you had SO much fun at Austin's house and you are SO SAD to leave! Don't worry, sweetie, we'll come back and play again really soon..."

As we drove away, B retaliated by throwing her stuffed bunny (Mr. Bunny, her absolute favorite toy and snuggle buddy since she was 3 months old, the one material thing she cannot sleep or exist without) out the moving car's window. I saw a flash of gray out of the corner of my eye and then watched in my rearview mirror as Bunny cartwheeled into the street and settled in a cloud of dust.

My immediate reaction (after slamming on the brakes) was to say in a very calm voice, "Oh no, Bronwynn. Looks like you chose to throw Bunny out the window. Bunny is all gone now."

I assumed that she would immediately realize the horror of her mistake and make amends. But, no. After a quiet moment, she replied ever so casually, "Yep! Bunny all gone."

"Yeah, B, bunny is all gone. You threw him away." (I make a dramatic sad face)

"Yeah."

At about this point, I realize:
1) she's not feeling any remorse
2) she will understand the impact of her decision at naptime when Bunny isn't there
3) if I don't turn the car around and retrieve Bunny from the road, I will regret it for the rest of my life

So, I do a U-turn and pull over and rescue Bunny. I dust him off and put him in the front seat and say, "Oh Mr. Bunny, I'm so sorry Bronwynn threw you away. You can stay safe with me now." I buckle him in and drive.

About a half mile down the road, I hear a soft, repentant voice from the backseat. "Mommy, I sorry. I have my bunny now please?"


5 comments :

  1. I love her. I really, really love her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, my mouth literally formed the 'o' sign as I read this! You are the embodiment of a gracious mother! One day Bronwynn will read this blog in awe of her wonderful mom who was so kind to her when she didn't deserve it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Can you come parent my children? I wish I could be so calm and graceful to my little boys as you are to Bronwynn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are both so awesome. Really really really. =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so glad that you went back
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Daily B