Friday, August 27, 2010

Found

Our new (old) house is oozing teen angst from previous owners. On the day we moved in, my stepmom discovered this tiny, crumpled piece of notebook paper in the recesses of a kitchen drawer:


Poor kid. Don't you just want to give her a hug?

Now, this week I was outside after dark and noticed a weird reflection from the flood lights on our garage door windows. When I looked closer, I saw that someone had written messages on every pane in the dust with their fingertips. I'm dying to know the story behind this one:

"MONSTER"

Other panes had cryptic numbers and words like "boob" and "lame"

Then, yesterday, I noticed this brick on our front walk:


Why hello there, Hanna from 2005. I'm sorry high school was so tough for you. I hope wherever you are now, you are happy and have plenty of friends who don't think you're getting fatter. 

You deserve all the best this world has to offer. 

Oh, and thanks for the fabulous house.
Sincerely,
Gina

...Has anyone else found clues about previous owners in their homes?? Tell me about it. I love this stuff!

2 comments :

  1. Love it!! When we moved in our current house a year and a half ago, my kids were exploring under the deck and found what looked like a little headstone with a picture of a cat engraved on it and dates, as well as the cat's name. My kids are convinced that there are cat bones buried somewhere under our deck and that there is a cat ghost haunting our house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha. That's great, Gina. There's a novel in there somewhere! I love that kind of stuff too, it's like exploring a haunted house.

    When I was building homes, and renovating walls and closets and stuff, I liked to write little messages on the inside of the drywall for some future person to find and wonder about. Sometimes it would just be a funny quip or initials and a date, but mostly I'd leave some cryptic nonsense like "3rd brick from the left" with an arrow pointing straight up, or "dont look under the fireplace,' or some vaguely drawn map with a big X on it.

    Hehehe..

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Daily B