Making Use of Odd Spaces

|
.
Our 1980s split-level has some strange architectural details that have us scratching our heads. Take this nook, for example:


It's the first thing you see when you walk in the front door. To us, it's a bit of an eyesore, but we can't tear it down since it houses ductwork...and we don't want to fill it in, since it lets natural light pour through to the entryway.

We don't have a coat closet by the entry, so it made sense to me that we could install some hooks, or even a metal locker...But with the odd dimensions (the nook is 28"d x 31"w x 61"h) the locker would have to be custom built, and I wanted to gussy this up sooner rather than later. So here's what I did:



First, I decided to make a cushion for the ledge. I cut some 2" thick foam and pieced it together to cover the seat, then glued it together.


To reinforce it, I grabbed some duct tape (yes, duct tape), taped the seams, and smoothed the edges with a box cutter:


Next I hit the sale rack at our local craft store and found this nice heavyweight cotton fabric on sale for $12.99 per yard. I draped it (wrong-side out) over the foam cushion, pinned it, then sewed it into a slip cover.


Once it was sewn, I turned the fabric right side out and stuffed the foam back inside, like a pillowcase:


I'm horrible at finishing the open ends of pillows, so this time I cheated and folded the edge (like wrapping a present) and used iron-on hem tape to seal it closed:


To complete the nook, I hung some lovely vintage-looking hooks, placed the cushion with a couple throw pillows, and voila!


The nook finally has a sense of purpose. A reason to exist. And isn't that all anyone really wants?
.

4 comments:

Diane said...

Perfect... absolutely perfect!! Seldom have I seen such creative use of space.

robin said...

dang Gina! That looks so good! You are so creative. I love the fabric.

Tish said...

ohmygoodness, that's genius! love it.

Danielle said...

That is absolutely incredible!!! Wow!!! :-)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails