Friday, September 24, 2010

A sentimental post with some videos that will make you smile...


.
Maybe it’s the events of recent weeks. Or maybe I’ve been reading too many blogs about 6-year-olds who are battling inoperable brain tumors. But today, I am looking at my children, and I am overcome. I’m brimming. I am literally dancing with joy for them. For their health, and their love and their beautiful, unique personalities that make me smile each and every day. For all the hope and innocence they embody.

On the darkest days. My grumpiest days. My most exhausted days. On my loneliest, most self-pitying days, I still get to smile and snuggle my children and feel a large measure of joy. What a gift!

For those who are new to the blog, there's this tradition we have that started when B was about 6 weeks old. Around 5 every evening, we turn on music and dance. It’s usually the hardest time of day—that hour or two before Kris gets home, and I’m trying to cook dinner, and I'm tired and growing impatient, and the kids are grumpy and whining. The music somehow has a magical calming effect on their mood. (Mama has a beer, too, which helps)

Lately, B has been requesting Barenaked Ladies. Specifically, she loves “Get in Line.” She calls it the “falling over song.” (I have no idea why) Here she is twirling to it:
video



Miles, I think, prefers Kris' music. Here he is dancing to Flogging Molly:

video

Is that not the cutest?? I just want to freeze moments like this.

How do you get through those stressful moments of the day? Share with us in the comments.....

3 comments :

  1. "On the darkest days. My grumpiest days. My most exhausted days. On my loneliest, most self-pitying days, I still get to smile and snuggle my children and feel a large measure of joy. What a gift!"

    Love this! What a reminder to me. Those times with the boys are precious.

    That time of day is usually the most stressful for us too, especially the Mama. The way we handle it -- a half an hour or so of "quiet time" whether its quiet play or reading. But I love your idea of dancing. I may steal it. :-))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gina
    Holler out to you from Singapore! This post resonates with me totally. That 5 to 7 pm period is the most stressful time for my baby and I! Sometimes I find myself frantically texting my husband and asking him where he is, how soon he'll be back, e.t.c., even though I know he's already on his way home. I will definitely try the dancing, but I guess I'll have to wait for a while, cos my four-month old is still pretty much supine all the time!

    What I have resorted to most of the time now is plonking him in front of the TV (I know, how awful I am!) to steal a couple of minutes. Other times I have tried to put him in the Bumbo and let my two pomeranians entertain him.

    Thanks for the post! Bronwynn and Miles are super--adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you start playing They Might Be Giants during Dance Time invite us over. We'll all have a good romp.

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Daily B