happily ever after

|
.
I just have to share a few photos from a birthday party we attended this weekend. If you know me, you know how much I've resisted the princess obsession. I fought it. Hard. But to do that is like telling the sun it's not allowed to rise. The best I can do is set some boundaries and counter some of the Disney messages with lots of conversation about inner beauty. And then let go and watch B light up with joy every time she sees anything princess-related.

Because that's what's happening in spite of me. And, when I relax and let go, I can see just how magical and fun princesses can be.

Case in point: Our friend's 4th birthday party was princess-themed. And it was magical. You could see it in the faces of the kids and the parents too.






I sat at the "nail salon" station and painted little girls' fingernails for the first hour or so of the party, and the conversations I had with those girls? Priceless.

One older girl asked me, "Are princesses real?"

And I wasn't sure how to answer, so I asked her "do you think they're real?"

She replied, "well...I think there are some real princesses and there are some pretend ones, and some people just work as princesses and then they go home and are regular ladies."

Of course. She was exactly right. 

1 comments:

Lisa Pivin said...

I had always thought that no daughter of mine would ever wear pink. Ha! I now live in a world of perpetual princesses. And it's wonderful!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails