scrappy owl tutorial (and winner!)

|


Thanks for the comments! I used Random.org to find our winner, and it's Jen (who wishes she was crafty and could sew a straight line). Jen: I'm here to tell you that 1) my lines are never straight 2) if I can do it, so can you....even if you have to use a hot glue gun!  I'll get in touch about mailing your owl. Or, feel free to email me with your shipping address dailyb.blog [at] gmail [dot] com

Now...a quick tutorial. 

Readers, I actually broke my own rule (never measure, never use patterns) and tried to make you a pattern that you could print and follow. But then, my scanner broke, so I wasn't able to upload it. I think that was the universe telling me to stick to my haphazard, imperfect ways. So I hope these photos and instructions suffice:

First, find two scraps of fabric (any size will do....my pieces were about 6-8 inches square) Lay them on top of each other and cut out your owl shape. Your owl can be long and lean, short and chubby, it can have rounded ears or pointy ones....you decide.

Next, using different fabric, cut out two circles for eyes, a triangle nose and two ovals for wings.


Place the nose first on one of the owl pieces (which ever piece you want to be the front) and sew it in place. I just did a straight stitch on my sewing machine. But you could do a fancy applique if you want. Or, you could just glue it in place.

Next place the eyes and sew them in place. They should overlap the nose so that only the beak is peeking out.

Finally, place the wings and sew them in place. Note: Don't sew them too close to the edge of the owl, since you'll need a margin for sewing the back piece on and stuffing.

Next, place your two owl pieces right sides together, like so:


Once they're lined up, sew around the edges, leaving a small opening to turn the fabric right-side-out...I got a little too excited with this one and accidentally sewed all the way around and then had to undo the seam a little bit, which is messy:

After you turn the owl right-side-out, stuff it with some batting (or beans or more fabric scraps...whatever you want to give it shape). Once it's full, stitch the hole closed, and voila!

1 comments:

Jen said...

OMG Gina I'm beyond pumped! You've totally made my weekend! Sorry I've been out of the loop this past week, but my email is jennifer.christman(at)yahoo.com. I sent you my contact info so I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks so so much!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails