the things we can change

|
.
There are things in life we can't change. Sometimes, I'm totally at peace with that. I can embrace it. Let go. Accept the bad along with the good. Just be.

But last weekend, I was brooding over some of the unchangeable things. I was angry and sad and longing to rearrange a few details. Tidy up the painful parts of life. You can't do that, of course. Still, I felt like I had to DO something. I looked around for something I could change.....My gaze landed on the mint green, frothy disgustingness of our kitchen walls.

The day we moved into our house, 9 months ago, I said "the mint green will be the first thing to go." It's not just the color that bothered me, but the paint was stained in places and thin in other places and sloppy in a lot of places. It made the cream colored cabinets look yellow, and washed out the gorgeous detail of our granite countertops.


This is the only "before" picture I can find. It's from the realtor's walk-through before we moved in. I wish I could show you a close-up of the green walls and how the color bled onto the cabinets and ceiling. I lived with it, though, because there were other more pressing projects...the kids rooms. The master bedroom. New toilets.

Sunday afternoon, I decided I'd had enough of it. With just a few hours left in our weekend, I drove down to ACE and picked up a gallon of paint. Kris and I had already decided on a color. We were just waiting for the right opportunity. And here it was.

I got started Sunday night and we lived with chaos while I finished--in between working and kids and other life stuff. For most of the week, the kitchen looked like this:


I love the metaphor. Sometimes you have to let things get really messy, you have to fall apart before you can put the pieces together and move on.


After a few days, it started to look like this, and I smiled:
And then it was finished. And it looked like this:


...which is lovely on many levels, because our kitchen is rarely ever this clean. Kris and I were nervous about using such a dark color, but we couldn't be happier with the result. The cabinets look cleaner and the granite stands out more.

Does painting your kitchen fix all that's wrong in the world? Of course not. But it felt a whole lot better to ease some of the anger out with a paint roller than, say, snap at the kids or collapse in a heap and surrender. It felt wonderful to make one more corner of our house feel more like "home." Best of all, the transformation only cost $40. Cheaper than therapy.

xo

P.S. Speaking of painful things we can't change, my mind is on Japan this week and the unfathomable tragedies going on there. If you haven't already, consider donating to some of the charities that are helping in that region:

Samaritan's Purse
The Red Cross
Save The Children

1 comments:

Jes said...

AWESOME! Congrats! That is a huge project...kitchens being some of the hardest to paint! I'm tired just looking at it, and would like a cup of joe from that nice yummy machine :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails