Thursday, June 16, 2011

gonna make a pie


Have you ever made something with the intention to share it, but then, you know, it looks and smells so yummy that you end up taking it all for yourself?

I tossed together the ingredients while the kids sat at the table eating lunch. My plan: let it bake and cool while they nap and afterward we'd deliver it to a friend on a playdate.

But the aroma was intoxicating. I could hardly stand it. The kids napped a full 2 hours, so I was all alone with the pie. It was torture. When B padded downstairs, hair a tangled nest of sleepy curls and shirt damp with sweat, she climbed into my lap and rubbed her eyes and said, "Mommy, can I please have some pie?"

And so we did. We were selfish. And it was sooooo good.

Anyone else see the movie "Waitress" with Kerri Russel? I have to admit, I wasn't a fan of pie until I saw that flick. Yes, I grew up in the South. And southern women do love their pie (bless their hearts). But I hadn't realized that pie has a soul...and until you look past the ingredients to the soul of a pie, you'll never fully appreciate it.

In the movie, I loved Jenna's pie metaphors. Despite their whimsy, the recipes sounded (and looked) pretty tasty:

I Can't Have No Affair Because It's Wrong And I Don't Want Earl To Kill Me Pie: Vanilla custard with banana. Hold the banana. 


Earl Murders Me Because I'm Having An Affair Pie: You smash blackberries and raspberries into a chocolate crust.

Pregnant Miserable Self Pitying Loser Pie:  Lumpy oatmeal with fruitcake mashed in. Flambé of course.

And so, in honor of Jenna, I present to you, dear readers:
I Never Was Much Of A Southern Belle Till I Moved Out West Peach Pie
8-10 ripe peaches, peeled and sliced (an easy way to peel them is to boil them for 1 minute and then rinse in cold water. the peels fall off)
1/2 cup of brown sugar (more if peaches aren't super ripe)
1/4 cup of flour
sprinkle of granulated sugar (just 'cause)
some butter (1/4 cup or so)
dash of cinnamon

Combine ingredients and pour into pie crust (I used a premade crust from Trader Joe's). Bake it at 400F for 15 minutes and then turn the heat down to 350F for 30 more minutes. After that, I turned the heat off and let it cool in the oven, which helped it set nicely.

As you combine the ingredients, you need to sing the following tune:

"Baby don't you cry, gonna make a pie, gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle
Baby don't be blue, gonna make for you, gonna make a pie with a heart in the middle
Gonna make a pie from heaven above, gonna be filled with strawberry love
Baby don't you cry, gonna make a pie, and hold you forever in the middle of my heart."

Serve pie warm.

I promise there will be more pies, and we'll share next time.

1 comment :

  1. Waitress - I love that movie and all the pie names and metaphors that go along with it. I, too, have named a few of my own pies, and one of them had peaches in it!

    Delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Daily B