our new favorite dinner

|
Have I mentioned we've been living without a stove for over a month? Yes, well. About that. I guess in the wake of the sewer repairs, Subaru repairs and air conditioning repairs, a broken stovetop is a minor issue.

It died, and as we researched replacements, we discovered that the previous owners did a not-so-fabulous job DIY'ing the granite countertops. The hole they cut for our 1980s stovetop is so wonky that virtually no current brands will fit in its place. And cutting the hole bigger could crack the granite (it's tiled), and we can't swing new counters right now...SO. We searched and finally found a stovetop that fits. It's being installed later this week.

In the meantime, I've grown quite creative in using our oven, outdoor grill and microwave to prepare meals.

The kids' favorite? Spaghetti squash.

I'm not sure they realize it's not actually pasta. You can bake or microwave the squash whole (just poke some holes in it with a fork first so it doesn't explode...we microwave it for 10-12 minutes, depending on the size). Then, slice it open, scoop out the seeds and scrape out the flesh with a fork (the kids love to help "make noodles").

Top it with tomato sauce, Parmesan & olive oil, or whatever you have on hand. We usually toss in a little garlic and fresh tomato, and maybe some sweet Italian sausage or grilled chicken. It tastes remarkably like pasta, but is much healthier (and doesn't leave you in a stupor afterward).

I'm trying to decide what I want to cook first once the new stove is installed....I'm thinking crepes. Or maybe I should find a meal that requires cooking on all 4 burners at once, just for the heck of it. Any suggestions?

1 comments:

Timmi said...

I love spaghetti squash. I can't have gluten and gluten free pastas are crazy expensive! My youngest loves it too, but not my oldest as I can't fool her anymore. Hopefully you can make so crazy holiday meal or have a dinner party to break in that stovetop. Though I love crepes and blintzes! Unfortunately I am still trying to "tune" into my new ceramic cooktop as it seems to burn things in the middle, unlike my old coil burners. Best of luck

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails