Friday, November 4, 2011

health care crisis

Remember when Miles cut his chin and I took him to Urgent Care? The doctor washed the cut and glued it shut. Easy peasy. We spent maybe 5 minutes in the doc's care.

The bill came today. Anyone else see a problem here?


I'm thankful for group health insurance (something we didn't have access to when both Kris and I were self-employed). We paid $20 coinsurance for the visit. But how is it okay for the doctor to bill $1,040 for gluing a cut? Am I missing something? Do they have to bill that much in order to get the $206 they deserve from the insurance company?

More importantly....if we didn't have insurance, would they have billed us $1,040?

2 comments :

  1. I think I'll get myself a bottle of super glue and open a clinic in my kitchen...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long-time lurker, and (I think) first-time poster... and pediatric doc-in-training, so I just wanted to answer:

    "Do they have to bill that much in order to get the $206 they deserve from the insurance company?"

    Yes.

    "More importantly....if we didn't have insurance, would they have billed us $1,040?"

    Unfortunately, yes. (But usually something can be worked out.)

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Daily B