holiday photo sessions

|
This fall I had the chance to photograph several families. I am first and foremost a writer... but photography is a natural extension of storytelling, and I was thrilled to help these families tell their stories. I always warn my clients I'm not a "sit still and say cheese!" kind of photographer. My favorite shots are the ones where one kid is frowning or being silly. I love capturing moments that people don't always see.

I struggle a little bit with offering professional photography, because my idea of beauty might differ from my clients' ideas. I find imperfection beautiful. I find raw emotion beautiful. I don't want to ever disappoint someone with my vision of beauty. 

So I thought I'd share some of my favorite shots from recent sessions:












Sorry. I had to throw in this last one of Miles, my perfectly imperfect kid :)

I'm curious what you think. What style of photography do you like? Are your favorite family photos posed or candid? Smiling or not? Do you have any shots of your kids being messy or grumpy or...?

2 comments:

Timmi said...

These are lovely and would make any family smile. Impromptu pictures are the only way to take pictures of our family or else we look horrible. Our wedding photographer took pictures like these and wandered around all day taking random pictures of people. Most of my old-fashioned family was very confused, but very pleased when they saw how everything came out.

mercedes. said...

Staged photos are nice for certain occasions, but I think the candid, more "real" photos are the best.

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails