Sunday, January 29, 2012

a dilemma

  

I just spent 25 minutes helping Miles "go potty," which is to say, I kept him company while he sat on the toddler potty, talked about his penis, fine-tuned his potty humor ("Look my butt, Mama. Butt. Butt. Butt.") and requested I sing You Are My Sunshine. He did not, however, actually GO potty.

Lately, on a given day, Miles probably spends 60-90 minutes sitting on the potty, talking about the potty, and never actually going potty. 

(Edited to add: He's requesting to sit on the potty all this time. It's all his idea. Not mine! He wants to go 'cause he sees his sister do it.)

He's still young. Just over 2. But I'm at a total loss.

Potty training Bronwynn was a cinch. She was exactly 2 when Miles was born, and the moment I brought that tiny newborn brother home, she searched for creative ways to get more of my attention.

She realized that saying "I have to go potty!!" meant that Kris or I would hand off Miles and whisk her away to the bathroom, where she'd have our undivided attention for a few minutes. A couple weeks and relative few accidents, and she learned.

I don't want to rush into potty learning with Miles because 1) I know boys often learn later 2) I saw the magic of the toddler leading the process vs. the parent imposing potty training.

Yet, Miles is clearly interested in going. Or at least, he's interested in sitting and entertaining me for hours on end.

Part of me thinks I should be taking advantage of this in some way, but how? Is there any way to help him along in this process? I have stickers at the ready should he ever go (he's highly motivated by stickers).

I love my son, but I'm not sure I want to spend all day in the bathroom with him talking about his penis.

I'm open to advice...and especially to stories in which your son magically went from potty-sitting to potty-learning without your hair going grey. Feel free to comment below.

3 comments :

  1. My son is 2yrs & 7months, he thinks the potty is a place that you sit and mummy reads you stories. He still tries to lie that he has actually done a poo or wee and argues despite the empty potty beneath him! I feel your frustration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Try with a doll. He can go with the doll to the bathroom and play there. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. No help here either.. My son is exactly the same, no older brother or sister though but also just over 2 years old and very interested in toilet and potty. The best I got out of him was a very big fart, after that he looked to see if anything was there, so I think he get's it... I think it will happen at some point ;), but maybe when he's a bit older? Patience (pfeew).

    ReplyDelete

Copyright © 2014 The Daily B