worms

|

When I say my kids love animals, I mean all animals. They don't discriminate. There was the Pet Moth of 2011, which was, in fact, the first of many pet moths. There's Wilbur, the pet spider who lives on our front porch. Caterpillars. Crickets. ...They even claim the coyotes who roam the hills near our house (thankfully they've never actually approached any coyotes).

Today: Worms.


A rare desert storm meant puddles and dozens of worms washed onto the sidewalks. The kids collected a few on the way to school this morning.


Their preschool teacher is awesome. She isn't fazed at all by worms ...or moths, or lizards or any other creature that tags along to school. She celebrates them just as much as the kids do. The sense of wonder and excitement is contagious. A worm at school is an opportunity to learn something new. 

So, when I picked the kids up, the worms were still in tow. And they now had names. And B started spewing facts about how worms benefit the soil and plants. 

I won't even get into how much I love that my girl isn't afraid of worms. 

This was our afternoon. Worms. The worms ate lunch with us. They were given sips of hot cocoa. We sang to the worms. We gave them fresh dirt. The simplicity of it -- the joy of these silly little creatures and my two precious, innocent children -- warmed my soul and helped shore up my belief that the good in this world still outweighs the evil.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails